These are by far the best cookies i have ever made and had…and i’ve had a lot of cookies. After you have just one, you will crave these again and again and again. The taste and texture are just absolutely perfect and you would NEVER know these were vegan and gluten-free.
I have been experimenting a lot with gluten-free baking and discovered I really like it as it makes vegan baking easier because there’s so much variety with flours, emulsifiers and thickeners that when combined properly make the best damn taste and texture that is different from standard white-flour, egg and milk cookies.
These cookies contain a lot of protein, fibre and nutrients that other cookies just dont have. There is millet flour, which contains vitamin B3, magnesium, protein, iron and is prebiotic. There is also psyllium husk in it, which is very high in fibre. In addition, the raspberry jam is 100% guilt free and refined sugar-free using only 4 magical ingredients. The jam has natural electrolytes in it from the coconut water, omega-3 from the chia seeds and antioxidants from the raspberries.
Let’s get to it shall we, here is the recipes for the ultimate raspberry jam thumbprint cookies
Makes 2-4 dozen cookies (depending how big you make them)
Thumbprint Cookie Ingredients:
- 250g almond butter
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance soy-free)
- 1 c organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose gluten-free flour (usually just a mixture of beans and chickpea flour)
- 1/2 c millet or white rice flour
- 1/4 c potato starch
- 2 tbs psyllium husk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 c homemade raspberry jam
Raspberry Jam Ingredients:
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- 1/4-1/2 c coconut water
- 1 date
- 1 tbs chia seeds
To make the raspberry jam:
- place date and 1/4 c coconut water into a blender and add more water if the blender needs it
- strain the coconut water and date so theres no chunks and put the water back into the blender
- add half the raspberries and chia seeds and pulse a couple times then add the remainder raspberries and pulse a couple more times
To make the thumbprint cookies:
- combine the flours, potato starch, psyllium husk, vanilla bean powder, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl and put to the side
- put the vegan butter, organic cane sugar and almond butter into another bowl and use a hand held mixer to process until its light and creamy
- gradually add the dry bowl ingredients to the wet ingredients and continue to mix well
- use your hands to do the final mixing and roll dough into 1 / 1.5 ” balls and slightly flatten them using your palms placing them on parchment lined baking sheets
- use your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon to make a small indentation into the centre of the cookie pressing the cracks back together
- bake cookies at 350F for 10 minutes
- remove from the oven and spoon a small amount of homemade raspberry jam into the indentation on the centre of the cookie and bake for 10-12 minutes more
- remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before carefully placing the cookie onto a plate or cooling rack to cool completely
Note: i bought the almond butter from bulk barn and it went by weight not measuring cup.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @thegreenerer, using the hashtag #thegreenerer